Suntory Yamazaki 18 Year Old – 2019 Release
- Reviews (5)
Everyone knows just how good the Yamazaki 18 Year Old is, and this year’s version (2019) brings the same incredible liquid inside a newly designed box. For this one, Suntory have stuck with the instantly recognisable black and gold colours of years gone by, but subtle differences to the artwork and the trim add an extra air of elegance.
This legendary expression is an award-winning Japanese single malt from the country’s most popular whisky distillery that lies in the middle of their core range, between the Yamazaki 12 Year Old and the Yamazaki 25 Year Old bottles. The 18 Year Old expression was first launched in 1992 and has since gone on to become a firm favourite among Japanese whisky lovers and aficionados around the world.
Up to 80% of the single malt that goes into the Yamazaki 18 has been matured in sherry casks, while the other 20% spent its time in American oak and Mizunara oak casks. This combination has brought a rich depth to the smooth, balanced spirit alongside a range of exciting spices.
This legendary Yamazaki release has been a frequent winner at global awards competitions, including Gold at the 2007 International Spirits Challenge and a Double Gold at the 2005 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. The increased recognition and global awareness for this famous release has resulted in diminished supplies while the distillery attempts to ramp up production to meet demand.
This is as well-rounded a whisky as you will get from any Japanese distillery and it’s one that every whisky fan should try at least once. It provides a delicate yet profound experience of what Japanese distillers can achieve.
Around the internet you will find the Yamazaki 18 Year old scoring top marks among connoisseurs, including 93/100 from Whisky Advocate and 91/100 from Wine Enthusiast.
This whisky has a rich flavour tasting of mature autumn fruit. Deep amber color. Nose contains notes of raisin, apricot, cafe au lait and Mizunara (Japanese Oak). The palate is blackberry, strawberry jam, and dark chocolate. Finish is long, spicy and smooth.
What awards has the Yamazaki 18 Year Old won?
- Gold Award (International Spirits Challenge, 2018)
- Gold Award (World Whiskies Award, 2018)
- Best Japanese Single Malt Whisky 13 to 20 Years (World Whiskies Awards, 2016)
- Double Gold Medal Award (San Francisco World Spirits Competition, 2015)
- Gold Award (International Spirits Challenge, 2013-2014)
- Best Japanese Single Malt (World Whiskies Awards, 2015)
Paul Hodge –
The Suntory Yamazaki 18-Year-Old 2019 Release offers a smooth and refined taste, making it an exceptional drinking experience for whisky connoisseurs.
George Carter –
Customers can enjoy a luxurious drinking experience with this whisky, which features a complex aroma and notes of dried fruit, vanilla, and oak.
Jason Haley –
The packaging for the Suntory Yamazaki 18-Year-Old 2019 Release is both elegant and practical, making it an ideal gift for any whisky lover.
Cedrick Erickson –
With its long and satisfying finish, the Suntory Yamazaki 18-Year-Old 2019 Release offers customers a truly memorable drinking experience.
Nicholas Long –
Suntory has a reputation for crafting exceptional whiskies, and the Yamazaki 18-Year-Old 2019 Release is no exception, providing us with an unforgettable taste and aroma that lingers long after the last sip.